Sunday, August 12, 2007

Fifi by the Sea


This yarn is amazing! It took a lot of abuse from me. Fifi took on a love/hate relationship with me. It took 3 cast ons on size 7 needles. Knitted up to row 40, ripped back to row 37, re-knitted to row 40 then ripped out all together. Re-started with size 8 needles. While trying on the piece, 10 stitches fell off the needle (my bad for not putting it on yarn instead) I almost cried. Instead of sending Fifi to time-out, I opened a bottle of Mike's Hard Lemonade and started to pick up the stitches then treaded carefully.



Once I finished the 1st 8 rows of the bodice, I stopped. How am I going to make this easy for me to remember when to cable??? Knowing me, I'll lose track of the row count when I need to do the cable. So I made a quickie Excel spreadsheet. Let me tell you how much this helped me - I did not rip a single row in the bodice, no kidding!






Fifi
Pattern: French Girl Knits
Yarn: 4 balls + a few yards Rowan Calmer in Tangerine for size S
Needles: Addi Circulars in US #8
(07/10/07 - 7/29/07)

Modifications: Added 5" to the length of the body. CO additional 19 stitches to the sleeves and did ribbing in the underarm. Knit 10 rows in pattern then BO for a slightly longer sleeve.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful - well worth all the ups and downs you had.

Anonymous said...

Great job on Fifi! Great fit too!

Liz said...

Looks gorgeous on you! Great idea with the spreadsheet, I've done that before but just on a post-it :D

Anonymous said...

Every time I see your version, it makes me want to start mine!

Please drop me an email again - I seem to have misplaced your address. Sigh. (I'm sorry - I've been scatterbrained the last week or so!)

amanda said...

Fifi looks wonderful, and I love that color - fresh and summery.

Anonymous said...

your fifi looks great i added extra length myself and the spread sheet was a great idean but that would've confused me more than anything i think. don't you love the calmer i can't wait to use it again!

Octopus Knits said...

Beautiful job! I love the color on you, and what a nice place for a photo-shoot.